Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Handmade vs. Mass Produced



Handmade vs. Mass Produced

Growing up, handmade items were looked down upon. It wasn't very cool to wear something handmade. Now, handmade is all the trend. When starting my accidental business at the beginning of 2010 I wasn't much aware of etsy, which is a marketplace to buy and sell handmade items. You can find our etsy shop here Dainty Button Etsy Shop. In fact, I wasn't too fond of etsy. I warmed up to the idea and created a shop, not really knowing what I was getting myself into. I was so amazed that only after a few weeks of creating headbands so many people wanted to buy them and it wasn't my sweet grandma. I will save the story of how Dainty Button came into existence for a later time and get to my point. After 2.5 years of owning a business that designs, creates and produces handmade items, I thought it would be nice to break it down and give you the "411" on why handmade items are worth every penny.

What's so special about handmade items?

Have you ever received a gift that was handmade? A truly beautiful item that when you unwrapped it, you felt so special because you knew someone had spent a lot of time, energy, and thought into it. That is what you get when you buy handmade. When I purchase something from Target, a department store, etc. I hardly ever think about where it was made or how it was made. I know it was made in a factory somewhere but that's as far as I get. Oh and the fact my money is going to a big CEO somewhere who already has enough money than he/she knows what to do with and I will probably see a dozen different posts on FB with someone wearing the same article of clothing. Original, right? Let's talk handmade...

Who works at Dainty Button? 

1. A young married woman who works very hard to help her husband make ends meet. 
2. Two single college students living in San Francisco, voted one of America's most expensive cities, working different jobs, trying to pay the rent every month and put food on their table. Surviving. 
3. A housewife needing extra income to help put her children through college.
4. High school students wanting afternoon work to help learn responsibility and prepare them for "life".

These are the people that work putting your purchase(s) through production and shipping. A lot of time goes into each and every purchase. When you purchase and receive an item from a handmade business, you're helping someone pay their rent, put food on their table, further their education, etc. You are supporting the country you live in. America. You're blessing others.

I bet you just learned more about a small business than you know about more large companies in America, right? 


Why you SHOULD buy handmade...

1. You can purchase clothing in any size you want and it actually FITS! None of this skinny minnie Forever 21 size chart. Handmade is custom made so chances are if you ask real nicely, most businesses will be happy to make it the size you need and want.

2. They're original! When you're wearing a local designer's clothing or accessories, you are in a different league and make a statement other than wearing your local box store brand.

3. A special garment or accessory that is meticulously designed and crafted for a truly unique fit and feel.

"My favorite reason to buy handmade is just that - it's handmade, which means quality, and a whole lot of love!"

Another reason:

"I buy handmade because someone else is using their talents to create gifts and decor that I myself cannot make. Buy handmade today!"

Cammie Higley

 "When something is handmade, very likely the craft person is deliberate and mindful about that next right stitch, next right bead, next just right rusty object that looks more like a dog nose on a found object sculpture than the last rusty treasure they picked up. Handmade products always feel more personal to me. I think about who might have been the artisan and wonder at how they managed to produce the item of the moment I am most smitten with and can't live without (no doubt, that rusty dog sculpture). I love knowing I'm supporting someone's passion. And even though I buy from handmade artisan's in states and countries I've never visited, I feel a sense of community when receiving an item that travels from their hand to mine. I like that I know who to contact to say "it's here! I love it!" - one person to another. "

Manny

"You are supporting local artisans and craftspeople and not large big box stores."

 "It guarantees that no one will give the same gift as you!"

"The items are much more fashion forward....there is no "wait-time" for large businesses to design and then mass-produce. One indie designer can list something *today* that he/she made *today.* (So it wasn't designed and planned last Christmas...for this Christmas)"

"Many items are much more environmentally friendly since there is no use of large manufacturing machines, chemicals, labor (some of it probably illegal) and waste. Many Annie and Olive items (for instance) are made from sustainable wool felt that has been naturally dyed, a needle, thread and my two hands."

"It's fun to see the creativity and excellence of the very, very talented designers out there. It harkens back to the days of old when craftsmanship, creativity and quality were paramount - You are buying items not mass-produced and impersonal but are very personal not only to the buyer, but to the maker."


Bethany

I think the most frequent question we're asked is...

When will my item ship? or...Why hasn't my item shipped yet?

Imagine making your own headband or skirt. Ok, now multiply that by about 12 each day (and that's a minimum). This is our day, every day. As much as we would love to get your purchase out within 48 hours, it's just not humanly possible. When you purchase handmade, you're purchasing good quality items and the wait is worth it! I promise. At Dainty Button our items normally take 2-3 WEEKS (excluding weekends/holidays) to go through production before shipping. Again, it's worth the wait. When you purchase mass production it's going to go out much sooner but it's mass produced. Think about it : )

Originality is not cookie cutter...


Handmade items are original, which is the reason when you purchase from handmade businesses, some items, although duplicated, are going to differ a little. Remember, when items are identical it's cookie cutter and let's face it...handmade is not cookie cutter. 

A little glimpse of "behind the scenes" at Dainty Button...









Do you sell handmade? 

Selling handmade items is definitely a trend and the "in" thing now, so are you selling handmade? Do you have a special talent? Here's some great places to promote your handmade business..

60 Killer Places to Promote your Handmade Business


Other helpful tidbits for online handmade businesses...

Take it to social media! 

The key to having a successful facebook or twitter fan page is....

1. Consistency. Your followers and customers won't know who or what you are if you're not posting anything. At least once a day promote an item...talk it up! 

2. Be personal with your followers on social media. People want to know who's behind your business and what makes you tick. The more personable you are with your clientele and followers, the more they feel connected. 

Get connected with other businesses...

I think the best thing I ever did as a business owner was/is promote other businesses. This is a great way of connecting with other handmade business owners/artists. You're getting their name out there and yours as well. This also boosts self esteem and confidence in your business and you as a business owner. 


Vend at craft fair venues...


I started Dainty Button in January of 2010 and I vended my first event in February of the same year. It was horrible. Not many people knew who I was, where I was from. I was the new kid on the block. I was so frustrated when I went home that I really wanted to throw in the towel. I made just enough to cover my booth expenses. My mom (my #1 fan) encouraged me to keep at it. I'm so happy I did. I vended my next event later in the spring and it was so much better. I took opportunities as they popped up and the more events I did, the more my name got out there and now I love doing craft fairs and vending venues. I will say this about craft fairs. Don't jump at every single one because the truth is, you will not make a good profit at every single event. When choosing a good venue, research it out. Find out where it's at, what the attendance is like and ask around if anybody has done that event and how they did. What you don't want to do is jump at every single vending venue and lose money. Be wise about it.

Market your product...


Most people have at least one handmade store/boutique in their area. This is where you want to market your product. It's a 50/50 chance and there's always that possibility of them saying "no" but just as much as that could happen, they could say "yes". You won't know until you try, right? I walked into a handmade boutique here in San Francisco wearing one of my headbands and it caught the owner's attention. By the next week they were carrying my work, which led to several other boutiques throughout the city, which led to boutiques across the states and even overseas in Naples, Italy. Take your work, present it to stores and see where you get. It's worth the try : )

Note: ALWAYS have a contract drawn up when partnering with any business when they want to carry your work. It protects both parties and keeps your work just that...yours.




Here's a couple of our favorite handmade shops and websites that we want to share with you...


The Mrs. Darcy


Halo and Meme

Soap Garden



Hope you've enjoyed this post and remember to buy handmade!


Charity and DB Team








2 comments:

  1. The colors looks really comfort and make me relax, so if you can check the Like the high quality and fashion Women leather bags at http://www.cwmalls.com/bags/ can be pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the colours, will look good with leather jacket
    costume leather jackets

    ReplyDelete